FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — AUSTIN, TX, May 30, 2017 — The Peace Officers’ Memorial Foundation (POMF) is pleased to announce the recipients of its annual scholarship program.
Over the last 30 years, The Peace Officers’ Memorial Foundation has helped hundreds of students obtain a higher education through our college scholarship program. Each year we receive an increasing number of applications, proving that the children of Texas Law Enforcement Officers value the continuation of their education.
This year, there was a total of fifteen scholarships awarded to students around the state with over thirty applicants in total who applied. Scholarships were awarded to graduating seniors and students enrolled in a full-time college or university.
“The applicants for the 2017 year were all incredible, which made it extremely difficult to choose,” Alex Price of The POMF Scholarship Committee said. “Each applicant brought high academic competition as well as impressive volunteer and work experience.”
The recipients of the 2017 Peace Officers’ Memorial Scholarship are as follows:
- Patrick Harris – Cedar Park, $500 Scholarship
- Luke Sharman – Kingwood, $500 Scholarship
- Julia Garza – San Antonio, $500 Scholarship
- Nicholas Arias – El Paso, $500 Scholarship
- Jaclyn Garza – Laredo, $500 Scholarship
- Nicole Herrera – Los Fresnos, $500 Scholarship
- Amanda Lee – Arlington, $500 Scholarship
- Rockelle Martinez – Laredo, $500 Scholarship
- Julio Ramos II – Corpus Christi, $500 Scholarship
- Christiana Silva – El Paso, $500 Scholarship
- Syler Dotson – Wichita Falls, $500 Scholarship
- Cameron Barlow – Katy, $500 Scholarship
- Deanna Fisher – Trinity, $500 Scholarship
- Celeste Amaro – China Spring, $500 Scholarship
- Callista Jackson – Mart, $500 Scholarship
“It has been our sacred honor to have a small role in helping to encourage the higher education goals of the children of Texas law enforcement,” Charley Wilkison, CLEAT Executive Director said. “Our hope is to award scholarships in every region of Texas and to help make the dream of going to a college or university a reality.”
The mission of the Peace Officers’ Memorial Foundation is to honor and remember the law enforcement heroes who have given the ultimate sacrifice while protecting the citizens of Texas. The POMF not only offers college scholarships, but sponsors the Biennial Memorial Services at the Texas State Capitol and supports research to find all Texas Peace Officers who have made the ultimate sacrifice throughout Texas’ history.
To learn more about POMF and its scholarships, please visit www.pomf.org
- 30 -